Being selected as the maid-of-honor is a special moment, but some maid-of-honors do not realize the intense commitment that follows. Here are some helpful hints to make it to the wedding day!
1. Always give your honest opinion WHEN ASKED. Whether it be a question on a venue, a photographer, or the brides dress, honesty is what counts, when she asks for it. If you agree or like what she is asking about, explain why you like it and re-enforce that it was a good choice. If you disagree or do not like it, give a tasteful explanation why you do not.
2. It is going to be an emotional time. She will call you when something goes wrong. Tears will flow, whether it be over a loved one who is not able to attend or some extremely small detail, such as the wedding cakes frosting being the wrong flavor always be supportive is the main lesson here.
3. Planning the Bridal Shower and Bachelorette party!!! Although a fun yet stressful task, do all planning with her in mind and not what you would think would be fun or the other attendees. Although it includes the bridal party, it is still about her.
4. Its the wedding dayAHHHH!!! Deep breaths for you and the bride. Your primary focus is getting her where she needs to be and remembering it is all about her. Help her get ready, fix her train or veil, give her some alone time before the ceremony if need be, the list goes on (but you get the idea!).
5. Most important!!!!! KEEP A SMILE ON YOUR FACE. No matter what happens outside of the room where she is getting ready, do not bring the problems into her happy space. Speech at the reception. Let it come from the bottom of your heart. Chances are you have made some great memories with the new bride, but do not forget about the husband! Everyone is seeking approval from the trusted maid-of-honor.
This does not cover all the obligations and details but hopefully this will get you prepared to be that special maid-of-honor!!
Written by Alex Sebens of Simple Elegance Events and Wedding Designs, serving Central Illinois. More information you can use at Simple Elegance Events & Wedding Designs.